By: Fatou Krubally
The National Assembly’s Special Select Committee investigating the sale and disposal of assets identified by the Janneh Commission on Wednesday formally ended its public hearings after more than two months of witness testimonies.
Vice Chairperson Hon. Madi Ceesay delivered the closing remarks, describing the process as a demanding but necessary exercise in public accountability.
According to Hon. Ceesay, the committee spent 61 days inside the Assembly auditorium taking evidence from over 32 public witnesses, in addition to several others who submitted written statements without appearing in open session. All testimonies, he said, will form part of the committee’s final assessment.
“This marks the end of our public hearing today,” he announced. “We have sat in this auditorium for more than 60 days. By my record, it is 61 days today.”
Hon. Ceesay thanked committee members, the legal team, investigators, the Office of the Clerk, the Assembly’s internal IT and security staff, and the media for their presence throughout the proceedings. He noted that the hearings often extended late into the day but were handled with professionalism from all sides.
He also acknowledged the cooperation of witnesses, adding that although some sessions were challenging, the majority “were very cooperative” and contributed meaningfully to the committee’s work.
The Vice Chairperson made it clear that while the public portion of the inquiry has ended, the committee’s work is far from over.
Members will now move behind closed doors to analyze evidence and draft their findings.
“This is not the end of the job,” he said. “The committee will continue to work behind closed doors in anticipation of presenting our final report to the plenary sometime in December during this same session.”
Hon. Ceesay stressed that the committee aims to produce a comprehensive and credible report based on all information gathered over the past two months.
“We hope we will get to the end with all the information we have,” he said. “On that note, we have now come to the end of this public hearing, and the hearing is hereby finally adjourned.”
The final report, once submitted to the full Assembly, is expected to guide the next steps regarding the management, recovery, or disposition of assets previously associated with former president Yahya Jammeh.
The post Parliamentary Committee Winds up Public Hearing After 61-Day Marathon appeared first on .
By: Fatou Krubally The National Assembly’s Special Select Committee investigating the sale and disposal of assets identified by the…
The post Parliamentary Committee Winds up Public Hearing After 61-Day Marathon appeared first on .